JOB TITLE: Teaching Assistant (Photography)
HOURLY CONTRACT: 2-4 hours per week (Class meetings dependent on Public School Calendar)
REPORTS TO: Youth Education Coordinator
DATES: September – June
BENEFITS: 1 Year Free Membership at TILT, Access to Lab and Adobe Suite, Access to library
Tilt Institute for the Contemporary Image is accepting applications for Teaching Artists for our Teen Photo Program. Teen Photo is a free after school photography program open to all Philadelphia high school students. Classes serve 5 – 10 students each, and the program runs for the duration of the school year, or approximately 38 weeks.
Our curriculum is centered around improving visual literacy, analyzing and critiquing the art world and the politics that exist within it; and ensuring that students have the tools necessary to conceptualize and navigate the imagery they see and create.
It is expected that lessons are aligned with TILT’s values, and contain contemporary artworks, subjects, themes, and artists that are representative of diverse perspectives and backgrounds. Our goal is to “decolonize the lens” by being intentional about whose stories we tell and the work we show. Expanding representation and introducing different experiences and practices will help inform the next generation of artists as they continue to move the discipline forward.
– Working knowledge of DSLR cameras (Nikon, Canon, etc).
– Working knowledge of Adobe editing software.
– Exceptional written and verbal/non-verbal communication skills.
– State and Federal Criminal Background Clearances.*
– Align with TILT’s Community Agreement
*TILT will reimburse you for the cost of the background checks.
Applicants MUST submit to all background / criminal history checks.
– Engage in lessons and promote classroom participation.
– Provide students with constructive feedback.
– Foster creativity and confidence in students as young artists.
– Communicate and collaborate with the Lead Instructor.
– Organize student photos, work, and projects on classroom servers.
– Assist students with goal setting, and conduct check-ins to assess growth and success
– Advise and mentor students through constructive feedback
TILT, Institute for the Contemporary Image (formerly known as Philadelphia Photo Arts Center) is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization. At TILT Institute for the Contemporary Image, we believe our mission is to build and support a just and equitable community of dedicated contemporary visual creatives centered on the importance of image making as an ever-evolving art form. TILT does so by providing educational programming, residencies, events, exhibitions, and public programs that celebrate our collaborators and community.
TILT Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified persons are encouraged to apply regardless of their religious affiliation, national origin, marital status, race, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or nature of disability.
To Apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Teen Photo Teaching Assistant”.