JOB TITLE: Lead Teaching Artist (Photography)
HOURLY CONTRACT: 3-6 hours per week (Class meetings dependent on Public School Calendar)
REPORTS TO: Youth Education Coordinator
DATES: September – June
BENEFITS: 1 Year Free Membership at TILT, Access to Lab and Adobe Suite, Access to library
Tilt Institute for the Contemporary Image is accepting applications for Teaching Artists for our Teen Photo Program. Teen Photo is a free after school photography program open to all Philadelphia high school students. Classes serve 5 – 10 students each, and the program runs for the duration of the school year, or approximately 38 weeks.
Our curriculum is centered around improving visual literacy, analyzing and critiquing the art world and the politics that exist within it; and ensuring that students have the tools necessary to conceptualize and navigate the imagery they see and create.
It is expected that lessons are aligned with TILT’s values, and contain contemporary artworks, subjects, themes, and artists that are representative of diverse perspectives and backgrounds. Our goal is to “decolonize the lens” by being intentional about whose stories we tell and the work we show. Expanding representation and introducing different experiences and practices will help inform the next generation of artists as they continue to move the discipline forward.
– A minimum of 2 years of experience as a professional photographer.
– Working knowledge of DSLR cameras (Nikon, Canon, etc).
– Working knowledge of Adobe editing software.
– Excellent organizational skills.
– Exceptional written and verbal/non-verbal communication skills.
– Strong desire to teach and inspire youth
– State and Federal Criminal Background Clearances.*
– Align with TILT’s Community Agreement
*TILT will compensate for cost of new background clearances
Applicants MUST submit to all background / criminal history checks.
– Work with the program coordinator to develop a syllabus and lesson plans that are in line with the program’s curriculum.
– Manage and communicate with TA.
– Organize student photos, work, and projects on classroom servers
– Assist students with goal setting, and conduct check-ins to assess growth and success.
– Communicate with students in and out of the classroom.
– Lead classroom discussions, lectures, activities, demonstrations and photo walks.
– Guide students in the creation of a body of work for their final exhibitions and photo books.
– Give students the tools to think deeply about the art they encounter and create.
– Advise and mentor students through critique.
TILT, Institute for the Contemporary Image (formerly known as Philadelphia Photo Arts Center) is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization. At TILT Institute for the Contemporary Image, we believe our mission is to build and support a just and equitable community of dedicated contemporary visual creatives centered on the importance of image making as an ever-evolving art form. TILT does so by providing educational programming, residencies, events, exhibitions, and public programs that celebrate our collaborators and community.
TILT Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified persons are encouraged to apply regardless of their religious affiliation, national origin, marital status, race, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or nature of disability.
To Apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Teen Photo Lead Instructor”.