TILT, Institute for the Contemporary Image is centered on the importance of contemporary
image-making as an ever-evolving art form. In doing so, TILT seeks to build and support a just
and equitable community of dedicated visual creatives and audiences.
TILT seeks to create a space built upon trust and respect in order to best sustain our community
and its creativity. We provide educational programming, residencies, events, exhibitions, and
public programs that celebrate our collaborators and community. TILT prioritizes safe,
inclusionary, and fair practices to accomplish our mission.
TILT recognizes that working to achieve Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice across all TILT’s
practices and programs requires proactive change on both an organizational and programmatic
level. Since August of 2021, all existing departments and programs, including the board of
trustees, have been involved in efforts to improve, innovate, and diversify. Working with Jay
Simple, an artist, activist, lecturer, professor of photography and critical inquiry, and founder of
the Photographer’s Greenbook, TILT has been engaged in work centered around team culture,
community engagement, effective allyship, and structural change.
TILT is currently seeking candidates to join its Board of Trustees. TILT is looking for trustees who are
aligned with our mission to bring new voices, perspectives, and connections to our community.
Those who are committed to supporting and helping shape a community of dedicated
contemporary visual creatives and image-based artmaking are encouraged to apply. We seek
passionate individuals who are invested in working collaboratively to provide oversight and
governance of an artist-focused institution, contributing to our fundraising efforts and the overall
TILT and its Board are seeking a new cohort with backgrounds in mediation,
community organizing, education, multidisciplinary art, curatorial practices, entrepreneurship,
and human resources. The addition of these individuals will create space for artists and
community organizers to have an impact on TILT’s audiences.
TILT is looking for Trustees with the following skills and experience:
● Community Organizing
● Digital Marketing
● Educational/Subscription Experience
● Human Resources
● Multi-disciplinary artist
● Online Programs Experience
● Public Relations
Trustees of TILT Institute have a legal and ethical responsibility to ensure that the organization
does the best work possible in pursuit of its goals. Trustees believe in the purpose and the
mission of the organization and act responsibly and prudently as its steward.
Trustees accept the following responsibilities:
1. Attend at least 75 percent of board meetings, committee meetings, and special events.
2. Each year, before the anniversary date of your joining the board and without having to be
asked, make a personal financial contribution at a level that is personally meaningful. This
contribution will be unrestricted general operating support; any project support, event tickets, or
sponsorships are considered an additional gift. TILT is proud to have 100% board giving!
3. Share and leverage your network of contacts in order to introduce them to TILT, engage them
in our programs, and cultivate them as donors.
4. Actively participate in one or more fundraising activities.
5. Excuse yourself from discussions and votes where you may have a conflict of interest.
6. Stay informed about what is happening in the organization. Participate in and take
responsibility for making decisions on issues, policies, and other matters.
7. Work in good faith with staff and other board members as partners toward achieving the
mission and goals of the organization.
8. Be an ambassador. Interpret the organization’s work and values to the community and act as
a representative and spokesperson.
9. Interpret the needs and values of our constituencies, speak out for their interests, and, on
their behalf, hold the organization accountable.
Before considering applying we encourage applicants to review our Community Agreement.
The document serves as a promise to our audiences and artists that TILT prioritizes safe,
inclusionary, and fair practices above anything else.
In order to begin the process to be considered a candidate for the Board of Trustees, please fill out this application form.